Has your phone ever been stolen? If yes, you will agree with me that it can be so frustrating and more terrible it could be when you can not track and recover it back.
However, In this article, we will discuss how you can track a stolen phone irrespective of whatever device you use whether it is an Android or iOS.
So, with that being said, let’s get started with what we have for today!
Methods for Tracking a Stolen Phone
Here are two most recommended methods you can use to track a stolen phone. Let’s quickly look at them.
1. Using Google’s Find My Device
Using Google’s Find My Device is an alternative option for Android users and it works similarly to Apple’s Find My iPhone feature. This feature allows users to easily track their devices e.g computer, or smartphone, etc.
Here below is a step-by-step guide on how to effectively use Google’s Find My Device to track a stolen phone:
- Open a web browser and go to google.com/android/find.
- Enter the email address and password associated with the lost phone’s Google account, then click “Sign In.”
- If prompted, allow Find My Device to access your phone’s location.
- Once signed in, you should see a map showing the last known location of the lost phone.
- From here, you can click on the location marker to get more information about the location, including the phone’s battery level and whether it’s online.
- If the phone is still online, you can click on the “Play Sound” button to make the phone ring loudly, even if it’s in silent mode.
- If the phone is offline or its location is unavailable, you can enable the “Lost Mode” feature to lock the phone and display a message with your contact information on the lock screen.
- You can also use the Find My Device website to remotely erase the data on the lost phone if you’re unable to recover it.
- Once you’ve located the lost phone or taken steps to secure your data, be sure to take steps to prevent the phone from getting lost or stolen again in the future.
That’s it! With Google’s Find My Device, you can quickly locate your lost or stolen device and take steps to protect your personal information,
2. Using Apple’s Find My iPhone
The Apple’s Find My iPhone is a feature that helps you locate your iPhone, iPad, Mac, or Apple Watch if it’s lost or stolen. You can use it to see the device’s location on a map, play a sound on the device to help locate it, put the device in Lost Mode, or erase all data on the device remotely.
Here’s a step-by-step process on how to use Find My iPhone:
- Open a web browser on a computer or mobile device.
- Go to the iCloud website.
- Sign in using your Apple ID and password.
- Click on the “Find iPhone” icon.
- If prompted, enter your Apple ID password again.
- Select the device you want to track from the list of devices associated with your Apple ID.
- Wait for the map to load, and then zoom in to see the location of your device.
- If the device is nearby, you can play a sound to help you locate it.
- If the device is not nearby, you can enable Lost Mode to lock the device and display a message on the screen.
- If you believe your device has been stolen, you can use the “Erase iPhone” feature to erase all data on the device remotely.
Disclaimer: It’s important to note that this feature needs to be enabled on the device before it can be located using this method. If it’s not already enabled, you can turn it on in the device’s settings. Moreover, the device needs to be turned on and connected to the internet for Find My iPhone to work.
Tips for Improving the Chances of Finding a Stolen Phone
Has your phone been stolen from you? Don’t worry, here are 10 simple tips to follow to improve the chances of finding a stolen phone:
- Kindly inform the police about the theft of the device as soon as possible.
- Make sure you reach out to your phone carrier to also inform them about theft of the device and to suspend service.
- Make use of a phone tracking app or service to locate the phone.
- Quickly change any of your passwords and disable accounts linked to the stolen phone.
- Make sure to keep a record of the phone’s serial number and IMEI number for future reference.
- Use anti-theft features such as remote locking and wiping.
- Check with local pawn shops or secondhand dealers to see if the phone has been sold.
- Post on social media and other online platforms about the theft to raise awareness.
- Offer a reward for the return of the phone as this can also increase your chances of getting it back.
- If all else fails, consider purchasing a new phone with improved security features to prevent future theft.
Frequently Asked Questions
If the SIM card has been taken out, can the phone still be tracked?
But, there are more appropriate ways to track it, such as by utilizing the phone’s unique IMEI number or a tracking program that has already been installed.
Since these techniques depend on the phone being online, it’s critical to take action right away and look for the device before the thief shuts it off or disables its internet connection.
Can the police assist in finding a stolen phone?
However, the duration of the process and the likelihood of recovery, however, can vary depending on the jurisdiction and the resources that are available.
Can phone tracking apps work on all smartphones?
Nevertheless, owing to hardware restrictions or security features, some features might not function on specific phone models. Before installing the app on your device, make sure it is compatible with the target phone in this situation.
Tracking a stolen phone is a better way of preventing your personal data from unauthorized persons and protecting private information. It also increases your chances of recovering your device if it was stolen.
However, there are several methods you can use to track and get back a stolen phone as we discussed in this article and if after following all the above mentioned steps you are not able to recover your phone you should consider getting a new one and make sure you improve every security feature on the device to ensure you are on the right track.